Everyone has a night or DJ set that one can call their favorite. Doesn’t necessarily have to be about the style of music, the complexity of the mixing, or being voted on by a committee. The best nights that resonate in anyone’s mind are for the special moments; the personal mementos that you’ll always keep. In this case, I’ll go ahead and say that my favorite set by any DJ was done on a misty Friday night in San Francisco by most recently voted “America’s Best DJ”: Markus Schulz.
This one was extra special because not only did the Ruby Skye crew deck the halls in spooky decor for Halloween, but this was also the first time Markus would grant us one of his famous extended “open to close” sets. For those that don’t understand the gravity of this caliber of event, it’s usually a 6+ hour set of some of the best unicorn slaying trance and progressive that ears can grasp spun by the legend himself. While it’s been known to be done in Europe, South America, Miami, and most recently LA, one of these sets coming to San Francisco brought out the Coldharbour faithful from all over the Bay Area.
It was a journey from start to finish. From the deeper tunes that you can hear on Global DJ Broadcast to the heavy hitting anthems like “Finish Line” from his new album “Scream”, the crowd seemed completely into the show 110%. The progression was phenomenal. Each tune felt perfectly placed in its positioning within the set. One would imagine that low attention spans and limited leg endurance would allow for the fans in attendance to dissipate after a certain time period. But even in the wee hour of 5 am, Markus had dozens of fans unrelenting their love to the chief unicorn slayer. And you better believe he showed it back.
Aside from the tune selection (which was incredible), the grand stage production, and the constant crowd interaction between Markus and the fans, it was amazing to see him pull an ace out of his sleeve to introduce a special guest: Arnej! Markus and one of Coldharbour’s favorites Arnej did some back 2 back action for over an hour. It really felt surreal to have something like this in our own city by the bay when we so often only get to hear it exclusively lands afar through internet radio, GDJB episodes, or previously recorded live sets. The longer it went and taking us deeper into the rabbit hole for the “sleepwalkers”, the more it felt like we were in some fantasy land and not a night club. It was great to know that SF held a place special enough in Markus’ heart to host something as special as this. It only felt right that we stuck with him to the end to show how much we appreciated it. 8 straight hours?! I would probably ask him things like “What do you eat? When do you go to the bathroom? How do you stay so focused?”. What a machine.
How can you put it into words? How can you describe it for someone who hasn’t experienced it? It’s incredibly hard to do. However, if me saying it was my favorite set I’ve personally attended means anything, I hope that can scratch the surface. What made it the best? Aside from exclusivity of the event, the awesome stage production by Ruby Skye & Spundae, and the unicorn slaying choice of tunes, it was great to share the evening with familiar faces and good friends. Not to mention he actually signed my obnoxious sombrero that I frantically waved in the air as part of my Halloween costume (side note that thing won’t be leaving my wall anytime soon).
Markus Schulz is truly a pioneer and inspiration dedicated to his craft and dedicated to his fans. It’s no wonder he was voted #1 on DJ Times count. But no matter what any DJ poll may say, the most important thing is that Markus Schulz delivers something that you can’t put a price on. Chief unicorn slayer, the Bay Area Schulz army and TranceFamily SF salute you!
~ Mark Menjivar (@MarkMenji)
Fan video: Nero-promises vs Sander Van Doorn-Chasin
Some of the main tracks from Markus Schulz @ Ruby Skye Oct 26th 2012
Merchandise from Coldharbour
Unicorn Slayer T-shirts & copies of Scream signed by Markus for TranceFamily SF contest winners
Couldn’t have asked for a better Halloween Party! Thank You Markus!
Global DJ Broadcast World Tour – San Francisco
01. Above & Beyond Presents Tranquility Base – Razorfish (Jerome Isma-Ae Remix)
02. Danilo Ercole – A Man with Two Names
03. W&W – Based on a True Story
04. Adam Beyer & Ida Engberg – Lovecraft
05. Arnej – True Lies
06. Rank 1 – 7 Instead of the Great Escape (Markus Schulz Mashup)
07. Markus Schulz & Wellenrausch – Silence to the Call (Scream Tour Edit)
08. Khomha – Days Gone Bye
09. Sander van Doorn – Reach Out (Thomas Gold Remix)
10. Broning – New Dimension (Dart Rayne & Yura Moonlight Remix)
11. Perry O’Neil – Wave Force (Mike Saint-Jules Remix)
12. Markus Schulz Featuring Jaren – Carry On
13. Orjan Nilsen – Filthy Fandango
14. Markus Schulz & Ferry Corsten – Loops & Tings
15. Nenes & Pascal Feliz – Platinum (Ben Gold Remix)
16. Beat Service – Fortuna
17. Markus Schulz – Digital Madness
18. Markus Schulz Featuring Seri – Love Rain Down (4 Strings Remix)
19. Rex Mundi – Opera of Northern Ocean (Phynn Remix / Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
20. Sian & Luigi Madonna – Royal Oak (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
21. Ummet Ozcan – The Box (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
22. Skytech – What’s Wrong (Skytech Stadium Mix)
23. W&W vs. Marcel Woods – Trigger
24. Pryda vs. Klauss Goulart – No Man’s Allein (Markus Schulz Mashup)
25. Danny Tenaglia & Celeda – Be Yourself (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
26. Protoculture – Perpetual Motion (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
27. Rex Mundi – Shocking Blue
Powered by Facebook Comments